Monday, October 2, 2017

"Ocean Therapy" - October 2010
 "We can't stop the waves but we can learn to surf"
"Life is better at the Beach"

About fifteen years ago Brett and I were seeing a marriage counselor as we tried to sort through some challenges we were facing in our lives.  My first assignment was to go and do something fun. I couldn't think of anything, so we went home.  As soon as we arrived home, I started balancing the checkbook.  It took me two days to think of a fun activity for Brett and I to do together. 

I am working on a goal right now to choose daily self care to replenish my mind, body and spirit to heal my relationship with myself.  I have a group of friends that help to encourage me on my goals and they gave me a list of ideas for self care.  At the top of their list was PLAY with the idea to schedule time for play. As you read above, this has not come naturally to me in the past. 

One of my favorite places to play is at the beach!  I love to feel the sand in between my toes and hear the water as it crashes around me feet.  I love to build sandcastles and look for sea shells.  I love to feel the warm sun on my face and watch the waves rise and fall.  Some of my happiest memories with Brett have been at the beach.  

This past week on September 28th I played on the beach for my daily self care.. My sister went to California with me to attend my nieces wedding and I booked a hotel right on the beach.  We arrived around 7:30 pm and the sun was setting but I was determined to play on the beach.  Laralynn and I put on our water shoes and started down the stairs to the beach.  We made the trek to the ocean and stood as the waves crashed against the sand and moved over our feet. 

We started taking pictures of each others feet to document our "ocean therapy". We laughed and "played" in the moment.  When we decide to head back to the boardwalk it was dark outside. We used my phone's flashlight to light the way back as we tried not to fall.  The journey was not easy and we were grateful it was dark outside as we fumbled our way back. We were able to avoid the rocks, seaweed and other obstacles in our way.  

Afterwards, we sat on a bench overlooking the ocean and beach.  We laughed, talked and posted pictures for family and friends to see. I felt young, alive and at peace.

As I reflect back to the day fifteen years ago when our counselor gave me the assignment to have fun. It was a hard assignment.  I was overwhelmed with so much sadness, grief, anger and negative thoughts that my mind and heart were not open to changing or having fun. 

I want to heal my mind, body, spirit and heart.  I know that daily self care is essential to my ability to find peace, joy and happiness in the chaos of my life.  I must rest, relax and replenish each day.  I must schedule time to play and have fun. I choose to change. I choose to "surf" the waves of life and get back up each time I fall.  I choose to think differently.  I choose to remember to PLAY!  

Love, Karalee


 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment